Most people have never worked with an organizer before. I’m going to give you a few tips and tools that will not only help you if you ever hire an organizer, but will help you organize yourself as well.
1. SHOP LAST: Almost all of my clients want to go shopping first – before I have even seen their home – they want to know what items to have ready when I show up. This is a very common assumption. You can’t know what you will need until after you organize the space. This is why spending $1000 at the Container Store (or any store) will not magically make you more organized. 75% of all of my clients already have the items we need to get them organized. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are going to have to make some decisions about your stuff and spend some time and energy to get organized. Don’t worry, having an organizer makes this process way less painful and will actually save you time and money in the future.
2. ORGANIZERS ARE NOT PSYCHIC: Trust me, I wish we were – it would make life so much easier. We can sort through your papers, clothing, dishes and other items, sort them into like-itemed groups, make a pile we think you will discard and even get a list of your clothing sizes so we can weed out the high school clothing that may lurk in the back of your closet. We can not however make the assumption or decision to get rid of your stuff without asking you. I often work without my clients present but always need them at the end of a session or work week to give me the final say so.
3. COMMUNICATION IS THE KEY TO EXCELLENT RESULTS: I always start my projects with a written goal and the steps necessary to reach that goal along with an estimate of time and money needed to achieve said goal. We are all human and plans change. Organizers are usually TYPE A individuals who love plans. Don’t get me wrong, we accept change and can roll with it as long as our clients communicate with us. Whether you’ve changed your mind or had a family emergency, just let your organizer know (in advance if possible) so they can ensure your new goals get met just as efficiently and effectively as the original plans.
4. ORGANIZERS ARE PROBLEM SOLVERS: Don’t just tell us about your desire to own a fully functional pantry, let us know what else is going on in your home and life – we may have the solutions. Some organizers are also home stagers, designers and professional packers. I’ve helped clients find repair crews, painters, pest control, cleaners, floor refinishers, career counselors, a new home for a pet, etc. Organizers have a large network of resources especially if they are members of NAPO (National Association of Profession Organizers) like me.
5. DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE: I know we are all very busy people these days but the earlier you call us, the better we can help you. I have people contact me the day before they are moving at least three times per year. I have performed some pretty amazing organizer magic but it caused lots of unnecessary stress to everyone involved. Most people tend to put off the tasks they do not want to do so I understand why I get last minute calls but just bite the bullet and call. Setting the appointment is the hardest part; the rest of the process is like hiring a personal trainer. We have the organizing skills plus the motivation to get the job done.
Pick up the phone and call today: 404-825-2105 or Heather@Simplyorganizedyou.com